Tuesday, November 05, 2002

Has anyone seen anything saying the sniper killings were religiously motivated? I ask because Ann Coulter, John Leo, and others seem to be really pissed that the headlines aren't saying "Evil Muslim Jihadeen Islamic Baby-Eating Killer Caught!". There's a lot of Muslims in the world, and some people who claim to be of that faith are crazed psychos and/or cold-blooded killers. Just like there's crazed psychos/CBKs who claim to be Christians, Buddhists, etc... If these guys had been killing people and leaving messages saying "The Great Satan is punished by Allah!", this would be a different matter. But has there been any evidence that this was done for reasons other than the guy was crazy and wanted money? "I am God" is not a particulary, how should I put this, non-blasphemous statement. Believe me, I'd be happier if most religions went away, but the attempt to turn this into an "us vs. them" with "them" being Muslims has an implict assumption in it that the "us" are Christians. And, seeing as how I don't intend to kill or die for anybody's idea of god, I'm just not down with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home